Emergency Management Duly Enrolled Volunteer Program
Duly Enrolled Volunteers (DEVs)
Emergency Management Duly Enrolled Volunteers are individuals at least 18 years of age, who are critical assets that function as part of the Lancaster County Emergency Management team. The Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) Directive D2000-1 provides the regulatory framework by which the duly enrolled volunteers or "DEVs" are recognized and credentialed.
Our Expectations for a DEV
- We are a 24-hour department. Major emergencies or disasters may occur at any time of day and during any type of weather. We may need volunteers after-hours or during poor weather conditions.
- We ask that DEVs attend at least 4 training sessions within a calendar year and regularly attend DEV meetings when they are planned.
- We ask that all DEVs become certified in Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) when the courses are hosted.
- We ask that all DEVs obtain their PEMA County Associate Certification within three (3) years of starting with our agency. Most of the training can be done online and is free of charge. The PEMA training checklist can be found here.
What DEVs Do
- The main purpose of DEVs is to supplement operational staffing in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC). DEVs will be tasked with overseeing an Emergency Support Function (ESF) or Community Lifelines for operational periods during a major emergency or disaster.
- DEVs have helped with writing plans and operational guides for the EMA office. We depend on having subject matter experts in a diversity of professions within our county to help us navigate the needs of the community during emergencies or disasters. We are looking for talented individuals who have experience in multiple types of fields. These fields can be, but are not limited to the following:
- Doctors, Nurses, and Healthcare Professionals
- Business Professionals
- Municipal Officials
- Public Works Employees
- Training & Exercise Professionals
- GIS Professionals
- Veterinarian / Vet-Techs
- Agricultural Professionals / Farmers
- Military Service Veterans
- Non-Profit Professionals
- Finance Professionals
- Childcare Professionals
- Cyber/IT Professionals
- Communications Personnel
- Safety / Health Workers
- Transportation Professionals
- Graphic Designers
- Project Managers
- DEVs are encouraged to assist with training, exercises, public education, and community outreach when opportunities arise.
How to Join
Fill out the survey below. A LEMA employee will reach out to you within a few weeks to schedule an orientation session. This session can be done online or in person. Once the orientation session is complete, your contact information will then be added to the LEMA text paging system, email groups, and social media accounts. Opportunities for training, planning, public outreach, and/or emergency activations will be relayed to DEVs by one of these means with instructions. All DEVs will be trained on how to effectively operate within the EOC as opportunities become available.